Write For US
Inspire others to get in the flow
The ISIY blog unites mermaids, wavesliders, adventurers, gurus and yoginis, inspiring each other to be in the flow.
Interested in sharing your stories and wisdom here?
Guidelines for Submissions
We are looking for stories that fall under at least one of these categories:
- inspiring / entertaining
- clever / creative
- informative / thought-provoking
- personal / anecdotal
We are looking for blog posts that
- draw you in at the beginning of the story with the MOST exciting part of the story then proceed to divulge how you got to there
- be short but very entertaining
- be accompanied by high quality photos
- use lists and numbers in the title (‘Top 3 things to pack for a yoga retreat’) though this is not mandatory
- contain links to other surf and yoga related websites to further connect our community
Before submitting ensure
- the post ranges from 500- 1500 words (we can bend the rules sometimes if it’s particularly creative/inspiring)
- cut out the 'fluff' for a super quick, potent read * unless the fluff is the piece itself
- edit a few times and then some more; avoid editing the same day you write the piece and consider having a grammar-savvy friend look it over before submitting.
* As William Strunk advises aspiring writers: “A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subjects only in outline, but that every word tell.”
Submitting your work
1. First and foremost, ensure that YOU wrote the article and that no part has been plagiarized. Your piece is original work, has not been published (including on your own website) and you are not sending it to another website for review/publication.
2. Ensure it is relevant to our community, we cannot accept work that is unrelated to surfing, yoga, health, travel and sustainability/philanthropy. We reserve the right to edit submissions as appropriate to ensure content is suited to our community. You will be notified of any changes before publication.
3. Email your article to: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. In your email include the following:
- the title of your article: please also use the title in the email SUBJECT HEADER
- photos for your article: no more than 7 photos, each 1000 pixels wide. Include a photo credit if you do not own the copyright and a link to the original image if possible. iSurf iYoga Inc. reserves the right to edit external links as is appropriate to ensure no copyright infringements.
- To credit a photo simply format it like this: Photo: [name]
- a short Bio (150 words max) tell us who you are, what you do, why you love what you do, etc. Include a high quality photo (1000 pixels wide) and any relevant links to your website, facebook, Twitter, Instagram account should you wish to share.
5. You will be notified within 12 days of receiving your submission to let you know if it will be published.